"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Amazing Hidden Potential!

An eight year old Church that normally saw 800 cfa per week in the offering plate did amazing things. It was their first eye opening experience to their giving potential.
I was in church one week and they told the men to stay after and help fix the Thatch roof. The third time in a month the winds damaged it. I was helping and commented how a tin roof would sure help this problem. A Young man said; "Yes why don't you do that for us." I laughed and said; "What difference is it to me? I'm only here every 6 weeks or so. If the roof leaks, it drips on your head all week, not mine. If I plan to come here and it begins to rain and I know your roof will drip on my head - I'll go to Bebou instead". All the working men laughed.

I did ask them how much tin it would take to do the job, and they calculated 5 packages. So I offered one pack of tin. The young man informed me that this was not enough, and I informed him back that this was all I was offering. I also further inform him that I would not be giving my tin until the church had their bought their 4 packages first.
It took 5 months, but the men of the church finally came by my house asking for my contribution. I gave happily. This church that saw 800 cfa in the offering each week raised 375,000 cfa for the lumber and tin to put on a tin roof on their church. Also they added windows and doors. They surprised even themselves. You know what else? This church to this day still only receives about 1200-1500 cfa in the offering each week. But when a serious ministry need arises, hundreds of thousands appear from the people. Many leaders to not know the giving potential of their churches because they do not give themselves. This kind of giving is possible all over rural Africa. Don't let the meager looking offering plate on Sunday fool you. It''s about faith and what they get excited about. And Of course with 100 years of mission dependency, they will always hold back in the hopes the missionary will fund it for them.

No comments: