"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Thursday, September 13, 2007

David Livingston's Hope for More Missionaries to Africa

"Only one aspect of I Stanley's visit irritated him: Stanley's repeated appeals for him I to leave Africa. In most disputes David politely refused and, went about doing what he wanted to do anyway-with no explanation whatever.

But this time he confided in the younger man, "I feel sometimes as if I am only the first evangelist to attack central Africa, 'crying in the wilderness,' and that other evangelists will shortly follow. And after those, there will come a thousand evangelists. My way is very dark and dreary, but the promise in Psalm 37 is:

Commit thy way unto the Lord,. trust also in him;and he shall bring it to pass. And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.

"I may fall by the wayside, being unworthy to see the dawn. I thought I had seen it when the Universities' mission started above the Zambesi, but the darkness settled again. The dawn will come, though. It must come. I do not despair of that day one bit. The whole earth will be covered with the knowledge of the Lord. And as far as the slave trade, my business is to publicize what I see and to rouse up those who have the power to stop it. The evangelists of the gospel will follow."

("David Livingstone, From Africa to Eternity", Sam Wellman, pg 179 Barbour Publishing 1995)

No comments: