"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Thursday, September 13, 2007

African Believer walks 18 km to Church On Sunday - We can't get out of bed on Sunday?

I travelled out to a Campement by Adjame, (65 km into Jungle, then 18 km off in the middle of nowhere.) because we had been invited to come and preach the gospel. We followed an old coco foot path. When we finally arrived we came out into an open are in a swamp.

Like a good numbers oriented Canadian I asked our host how many are expected to come – "20 maybe", he replied. Of course no one They did not show up on time. Eventually a fewe faces popped out of the forest. Rounds of greetings with huge smiles. Eventually a few more emerged from the forest. All the time I was wondering who on earth lives out here in the middle of nowhere, genuinely doubting there were really 20 people to come.

It was getting late and we now had a dozzen or so and I had a bible study appointment back in Adjame that evening. I asked my host if we should start – "no". We waited for a total of over 4 hours still wondering where 20 people come possibly come from – No one lives out here.

More landed. Then a few more. and to my surprise we had over 20 people now. I asked if we should start – "No, more will come" was my hosts reply. By the time we started 48 people where there and we preached the gospel for another 4 hours. Three stood up and said they wanted to be baptized into Christ.

After scoping out the leaves in this water hole about 4 feet deep only about 8 feet across, we baptized 3 people in a small dirty water hole,. Water is hard to find in dry season.

Went back and preached more. We asked for permission to leave and the people would not let us go. We sang a while longer. Asked for permissions to leave again and they again refused and hauled out a meal. We prayed more. And they said; "You have found friends here now stay longer." Well by this time I am very excited but very late for Bible study in Adjame.

And went back to the village late had bible study for 4 hours will 2:30 am with 38 people. Two of the people we baptized came back to the village with us that night. At Church the next day the third man "Francais" our host, was not there for church when we began. However, as we were singing, I was looking out the church window of the mud church, and then, to my delight, I saw coming down the path Francais – the man who invited us out to his camp and invited all his neighbors. He walked 18 Km to church that morning and told what Jesus did for him the day before.

Walked 18km to church- And we can't get out butts into an air conditioned car and drive 5 minutes to church with a CD player playing out favorite music. Why?

I praise God for letting me be there. I was humbled to see God work.

No comments: