"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What Not to Wear?

I have often had people bring up subjects about what to wear or not to wear to church. Of course, as with all human rules, there is a tremendously broad panorama of opinion on this issue.
Every "reasoning" and every "view" is sandwiched in "Christianisms" intended to make each conclusion sound so much like the gospel itself. "Give your best to the Master". "Dress decently and modestly". Shall I go on? You know the lines.

I am concerned with modesty - especially these days. That is a biblical teaching. But again, the limits of modesty do vary among men and women, culture to culture, and conflict can result again. I prefer to simply teach the principle of modesty and let the individual believer work it out between them and God. I personally would never have a compulsion to ask someone to change their dress, if they came to my church. Also, "giving our best to the master" does not mean we have to go buy the best, does it? I find myself dressing to please people more than God. To keep people happily quiet. I really don't think God cares much. Why exactly do I think like this you ask.

Well, I remember a young boy about 7 yrs old who came to church every week, in a village in West Africa where we planted a new church. He came every week with the same T shirt and pair of shorts. His T Shirt had the collar ring intact. However, the front was ripped from the collar ring and hung open down his chest about 6 inches. This is what he wore to church every week for a year or more. It was the only shirt he had. He wore none all week. That was the only shirt God gave that poor boy in his rural African setting. Was it modest? Was it best? Was it appropriate?
Well, it just goes to show that only the rich and affluent have the time, money, and spare time to get worked up about and debate such trivial and mundane "Spiritual" things. I for one don't really care to waste my time even talking about it anymore.

Anyway, if I look a little impatient when these topics surface, remember the glazed look is probably because I am thinking of this poor boy who loved Jesus enough to come listen and learn with a smile - Because no one was telling this boy "What not to Wear".

No comments: