"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Sunday, January 5, 2014

I've Said Nothing Different About Church

" I haven't said a thing about the church since leaving it, that I didn't say while in it." (Karl Ingersol. Stepped out side the church Pastor Job to Serve differently. New Brunswick Canada)

How true this statement rings to my experience as well. But you talk blue in the face and it never changes inside, so you have to release yourself to Jesus. 
"The inherent danger in business-as-usual church is that people will go there and be "discipled" to spiritual mediocrity. Years ago, older believers used to smugly whisper about the zeal of new converts, "They'll settle down." (… just like the rest of us). And guess what? They always did. A normal North American church will reduce that wild, crazy experience to the lowest common denominator believing that this is stability or maturity. "Become just like the rest of us." The masses in most churches are Sunday morning observers. That's what we implicitly want, to support our metrics. I know that I can change nothing but myself. If the NA garden variety church actually belongs to Christ then He is the Architect of change, revival, renewal. When men usurp this place they just break it in a new way. I haven't said a thing about the church since leaving it, that I didn't say while in it. At a point, I realized that to change the church, you'd have to wreck it and that was not my place … so I stepped outside. I found that God was at work in ways and in places that the institution could not afford to work. Though it may not sound like it at times, I am passionate about the Church. Not the organizational machine that man is building, but the Church that God is building." (Karl Ingersol)

No comments: