"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Monday, April 1, 2013

When Your Hands Are Already Full

"You can't receive anything if your hands are already full."
(Gray's conversation with Michael in "The Bastard Tree". M.C. Lang)

This can apply to so many things.
To begin anything fresh and new, we need to drop the load that's already in our hands, before can pick up anything new. A new opportunity my be staring us in the face. However, we can't receive it because we can't bring ourselves to let go of what is filling our lives right  now.
I see it all the time in churches with church people. Having myriads of meetings about how to become vibrant, new and revived again.
But all the while holding on to all they do as if it's all sacred ( some is, most isn't). So, in the end we can not receive anything new. So, we rather settle with trying to stuff a few EXTRA things into the already heavy bags, in our already weary hands.

Oh, don't grow weary in doing good..... I don't grow weary of doing good. But a lot of what people are labeling "good", is not so "good" at all.

I did that for years with them trying to stuff more "good" into the bags we already have.
Until one day I started a journey of stripping away, that took time, but it took that before I had room to become something new.

This is what I see..... the most critically difficult phase is the willingness to let go of what we have in our hands now. I have learned that I can now only work and walk with people willing to empty their hands, or already have been through that process and can guide me through it.

Drop the bags, begin taking items out, one at a time if necessary, or just toss it at all at once if that is what it takes. Because you can't receive anything if your hands are already full.

I walked that road and I know......our hands are way too full.

No comments: