"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Yes I'm Cynical About Religion!

I found that this explained the heart of a cynic. Try as one might, you just can't make that go away... What I have found is that though I am still cynical about a lot of things in religion, I have come to the place where I can grant people freedom to pursue their path, and I am OK with that.
However, I still have little time for the management games, and the obligations people would try to force on anyone to get back into that show and help run it again. I need the people (church) and I assemble with the people (church). But I don't need the exhausting programs, nor do those we offer them too. What they need is real connection with others. There any can grow, and there they can't hide what journey they are really on (Or not) by mere attendance to something.

"My glass, while not necessarily half empty, is usually half full of sarcasm, cynicism and insecurity. And I need you to be gentle with me. We calloused cynics aren’t as tough as we seem. That’s the ruse. The truth is we build these emotional walls so dang high because we’re hiding behind them. We’re not strong like you, we’re all soft and broken on the inside and the walls are our only defense.

We’re wounded and messy and hurt and we can’t take what we dish out – maybe it’s annoying, maybe it gets old, maybe our negative sense of humor offends or confuses you, maybe you wish we’d, for the love of God, unruffle our feathers, or that the dark night of our soul would be over already. But please, be patient with us. Anything less and you only inflict more damage, you feed the great big ball of cynicism that we live and fight with daily.

Just bear with us. I know it’s not fair. I know it’s not always easy. But be gentle with the wounded, be kind to the cynics." (Jessica Bowman)

No comments: