"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Saturday, May 11, 2013

What's Our Story As A Church?

I so want to be invisible in His story. It was not always the case as a young minister trying cut some success, some recognition, and glory(though I'd never have called it so back then). Now I believe people need Jesus, not me. I don't want to be up front anymore. However, as I point people to Jesus, if they want me to, indeed, I will walk with them as a friend. If not, I'm happy and confident enough to leave them at the foot of the cross. They are in good hands there.
"The church also has stories it loves to tell. But all too often these days, the church's stories are about success, leadership, justice, happiness. When ministers become social workers, preachers become motivational speakers, and evangelism becomes marketing, the result is a gimcrack gospel that is tawdry tacky, and cheap. Asked, "What story do you love to tell?" a first follower's first answer is, "I love to tell the story of... Jesus and his love." In a celebrity culture, leaders are the center of their stories. In biblical culture, the self is decentered. Jesus followers are supporting characters in a story where God is the star. The story of a follower's life is not about him or her at all but about what the risen Lord has done and is doing. At the end of our lives, our story is really his story." (I Am A Follower. Leonard Sweet. Pg.144)

No comments: