"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Stop Solving Perceived Problems? You Don't Even Know What They Are.

"They have the call or the courage to leave home for an adventure of some type—not really to solve any problem, but just to go out and beyond their present comfort zone....... On this journey or adventure, they in fact find their real problem They are almost always "wounded" in some way and encounter a major dilemma, and the whole story largely pivots around the resolution of the trials that result."
(Richard Rohr. Falling Upward)
.,........................
I thought that this described myself, to some degree in my early days. However, I think I am old enough that when I went out on my adventure to French West Africa, I truly thought I could help the world with some of it's problems. I went with a huge plan, desires, goals of what I had hoped to accomplish, how, and in what time frame. That was an expected way of approaching anything born of my generation.
I soon discovered that in seeking to help others, I too was in need of them, and their healing involvement in my life too. Problems, we all have problems.
However, I think Rohr really described this generation of world traveller very well. They have no plan, and, though it's tough for a guy of my generation to understand, I am beginning to think that, in the beginning at least, the youth of today start out best. Isn't it best to observe, listen, interact, engage, and share life with a person or a people first..... for  long long time, before making a plan?
I lived a paradigm that saw us making a plan, with little input from the people we wanted to serve, problem solve among. Oh, we gave lip service to the idea the plan came after observing  the people, but the reality is that  this plan was devised in our own head, from behind  desk, formed with outsider perceptions we have, that rarely reflect any reality.
We, no I, have something to learn from how these youth seek adventure, and healing of their wounds and pain. Though it was how I was taught to approach everythingng, problem solving is probably the very worst place to start.

No comments: