"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

St. Patrick’s Breastplate

St. Patrick’s Breastplate
This is a powerful prayer of Protection, also known as The Deer's Cry. It is attributed to
Saint Patrick of Ireland. 
The story goes that Saint Patrick sang this after an ambush had been laid against him, to
prevent him from going to a certain community to spread the gospel. It is said the man lying in
ambush did not see Saint Patrick and his monks as they passed by, but rather wild deer with a
fawn following them (thus the name the Deer's Cry). 
That Gaelic phrase might mean, however, a
mist of concealment.
The prayer calls for Christ's protection using a lorica (shield or breastplate), from which it
derives its name, "St. Patrick's Breastplate". This is based on Ephesians 6:10-20 ("God's shield to
protect us ... from snares of devils"). This prayer recognizes the spiritual battle between good and
evil and thus the importance of praying for protection on a daily basis.

I arise today
through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
believing in the threeness,
and confessing the oneness,
of our Creator of creation.
I rise today
in the power of Christ's birth and baptism,
in the power of his crucifixion and burial,
in the power of his rising and ascending,
in the power of his descending and his judging....
I rise today
in heaven's might,
in sun's brightness,
in moon's radiance,
in fire's glory,
in lightning's quickness,
in wind's swiftness,
in sea's depth,
in earth's stability,
in rock's fixity.
I rise today
with the power of God to pilot me, with
God's strength to sustain me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look ahead for me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to protect me, ...
God's shield to defend me,
And God's host to deliver me,
from the snares of devils,
from evil temptations,
from nature's failings,
from all who wish to harm me,
far or near, alone and in a crowd.
Around me I gather today all these powers
against every cruel and merciless force
that would attack my body and soul....


In 1889 this poem was adapted into a hymn entitled I Bind Unto Myself Today. There are
many versions of this on You Tube, but here is one version that you can use for your meditation
and worship today - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH4ToVxtn9A.
If you want to add your own thoughts to this to be shared with the c

No comments: