"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Friday, April 18, 2014

What If Jesus Said; "STOP Inviting People To Church First."?

If Jesus temporarily took away the Christian's ability to invite non-Christians to our church, some church service, program, or special event first.  What (or who) then would our spiritual conversations be about? What would we say, table to discuss, or talk about with other people, if we stopped making church, or, "Come attend our church....."(insert the name of some program or event), the foremost conversation? 

I suggest that those themes are probably much more important and pivotal conversations to have first.  Long, like, way long,  before a church invite.

We get the cart before the horse in our discipleship habits, and we never get to the critical life conversations with people.

Even I get annoyed when people invite me over and over and over again, to their church events, but never visit, call, or extend ANY relational contact or express ANY desire whatsoever to get to know me otherwise.
But that is probably just me ;-)

But it seems to ease their guilt and offer a sense that they discipled or evangelized me in the inviting (I need evangelizing because I am not a member of their church denomination).  Biblically, in my view, I would suggest they have done neither by a mere invitation to church.

I might be mistaken, what do you think?
What should the real conversations be?
What do you feel are the "first" importance subjects?

No comments: