"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Friday, March 1, 2013

Community May Not Be Good Community

"The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd.
The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has
ever been before."
(Albert Einstein)

Been thinking about that a lot lately. People go on about how we are made to live life out in community. I get that, and all the bible versus that go with that. I don't disagree in the least.

However, those saying it often imply YOU need to be in THIS community, that does community THIS way.

To not be part of that kind of " fixed image" of community, is highly criticized. There are (feel free to substitute the word leader with the word church) abusive leaders, mistaken leaders, bully leaders, self seeking leaders, mean leaders, angry leaders, comfortable leaders, lazy leaders, controlling leaders. Why does that surprise us? Why would we deny this or let expressing it make us upset?

Certainly, many groups are not like this. But, what if THIS community is?

If we were to become just like this spiritual "community", would we be doing what we should be? Would I be serving the world and my neighbors?Would I be thrown out to build kind and redemptive relationships? 

Are you free to follow Christ and his leading without being chocked most if the time? Is anyone really walking with you in community anyway, beyond sitting at, or maintaining the same events together? What do we have with people outside of that?

I personally do not want the crowd limiting were I serve, how I serve, when I serve. If I listened to them I would not be in a Muslim country, where almost evacuated three times because of Jehadists and Al-Qaedea activity (75% take over at one point) in forcing Sharia law.
The church crowd, will not let their church crowd, get that radical in what they do. This community most often makes decisions based on what's safe, comfortable, appealing, and will draw a crowd HERE. And criticize you for not
Being here with them immersed in their "safedom". Sure, they will send YOU off, but they don't want to have that kind of stuff talked about prayed about, or running around their building. 
Sorry, more people need to surpass the crowd, THIS crowd, even YOUR crowd. Cut some people loose.

This does not make me any better. Trust me, I am nothing special.

But my community is different people now. People who get this, and who can serve and encourage one another through this real world stuff of today, to be good Jesus followers, and nudge people of diverse religious, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups, to see the fingerprints of Jesus in their lives.

No comments: