"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Monday, March 11, 2013

Cast Off The Script

"The very day I was converted to Christ, I was handed a script. And I began living from it. Over the years, that script has expanded both in size and variety. As I attached myself to various churches, denominations, parachurch organizations, and ministries, new lines of text were added to my script.
In the same way, every human being is scripted through their  upbringing, their surroundings, their culture, and their religious influences. Our scripting works unconsciously. We are usually unaware when the scripting is happening to us. Somewhere along the line, however, I became aware of the religious script that was given to me. As Christians, we can safely assume that some of the script we have been handed matches the heart and mind of our Master. But typically, much of it doesn't.

In such cases, we want those lines of script that are incompatible with the teachings of Jesus revised and re~visioned to match His heart and mind.
Transformation (spiritual formation) can be described as editing out that which is not Christ and revising that which is. Or to use Paul's metaphor in Ephesians, its a matter of "putting off the old" and "putting on the new."
Revising is a process. And it begins with opening ourselves up to the possibility that the script we have been given in life is not perfect. It's in need of regular evaluation and revaluation."
(Revise Us against. Frank Viola)

No comments: