"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Monday, March 18, 2013

A Telescope With No Stars!

"In college I took astronomy, my chance to look through the observatory telescope and truly see the stars. But it was physics. Astronomy was physics. It ruined the stars for me. There was only one night of observation. After two weeks, I dropped the class."
(Monique Maria Schmidt. Last Moon Dancing: a memoir of love in real life in Africa 2005, Pg134-35)

I suppose some would simply say the beauty is in the details too. However, when the details cause us to stop seeing, there must be an imbalance.
I've come to feel the same way about my faith. There are extreme in both directions. Simplicity with out substance is not rooted. However, neither is understanding complexity, but loosing sight of the simple beauty. Sometimes understanding robs us of the beauty of simplicity too.
I came from the exegesis camp. I love every detail I learned. But it soon engulfs our ability to see,  and  often we no longer take time to stop , look, see, and really truly see the beauty.
I know MANY Christians who no longer see the beauty, over the physics of church. I was one of them. While running the machinery of church religion, I have shockingly gotten to the place were I was seeing few stars any more. Actually believed active in church was active in Kingdom. I soon learned that this is not always so.
I'm still trying to crack my eyes back open..... I am starting to see beautiful stars in my telescope again.

No comments: