"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Do Some Older Leaders Want A "Mini Me"? Lack of Trust In Younger Leaders

Gave me something to think about. Certainly does not apply to everyone, but makes one self-examine.

"A middle aged couple approach me in the aisle after a conference presentation wearing earnest expressions and bringing a serious question: 'If the way you describe young adults is accurate, we are concerned about whether we can leave the church (organization) to these people!' During moments like this, I think God, in his wisdom, he created us with a voluntary circuit breaker between our thoughts and our words . In my mind, I shouted back, 'Who do you think you are to write off a whole generation as unfit for duty? I know one of your kids, and I would be proud to have her as the pastor my church!' But out of my mouth came just six quiet words: 'Well.... No one else is coming.'.... Older leaders routinely give lip service to the necessity of developing the younger generation. But when I hear these speeches, I get the sense that we elders often operate from a mental picture of that envisions the new cohort as strikingly similar to ourselves – in other words, a junior version of us." (Off-Road Disciplines. Earl Creps, pg 177, 2006

No comments: