"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

An Old Man And Memories of War!

"What is your name Kanei asked the old man. He smiled as if he knew that one of us would ask this question. 'There is no need to know my name. Just referred to me as the old man who got left behind when you get to the next village.' He looked at all our faces and spoke softly, with no sadness in this voice. 'I will not be alive to see the end of this war. So, to save the place in your memories for other things, I won't tell you my name. If you survive this war, just remember me as the old man you met. You boys should be on your way'..... Before the village disappeared from our sight, I turned around to take one last look at the old man. His head was down and he had both hands on his staff. It was clear to me that he knew his days would soon be over, and he didn't bother to be afraid for himself. But he was for us."

(A Long Way Gone: A Memoir of A Child Soldier. Ishmael Beah. Pg 56,57, 2007)

No comments: