"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

About Needing Change

"One day in 1992, fed up with the pressure and the lack of personal satisfaction from my achievements, I made a profound decision. I decided to give everything I owned to my three children and then I traded my comfortable lifestyle for a two-year hitch in equatorial Africa.....I needed the change." (Things Are Different in Africa. Frederick Pitts. 2004, p 1)


It's more than just needing change. There is a purpose to go greater than ourselves. However, to a certain degree we can relate to the sentiment. We have come to believe that our rutines and luxury are the goal, the right of all good sensible folk. I'm tired of managing "stuff", both my own and that of others.
Give me no roof, but real relationships, any day.
I'm glad there is a greater purpose to bring us to Africa, than simply 'we require change.' But I must admit, I like the change too.

No comments: