"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Evil of My Own

"I think that we run that risk in this society and even in the church of thinking that virtue inherits in groups, as opposed to within individuals. And God judges every human heart. And I think about how dangerous it is to fall into a sense of righteous anger at the people like the evil Catholic bishops. That was one way I used to think, back when I was in the middle of writing about the scandal, as a Catholic.

I was so caught up in the manifest wickedness that was throughout so many of these bishops. But I fell into believing that, without even realizing what was happening, I fell into thinking that if we could just get rid of these bishops and then things would be better. Well, yeah, maybe a lot of those bishops did need to go, but the problem of human evil was right there in my own heart."

- Rod Dreher

No comments: