"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Christians Who Have. Ever Seen Stable Family or Marriages?

Back in 2013, I went to a conservative evangelical college to give a talk and I was sitting around with the professors, some of the professors before my speech, just having dinner. I was asking them about what they saw on campus.

One of the professors said, “I really don’t know if any of these kids are going to be able to start families.” I said, “That seems crazy to me. This is a conservative evangelical college. Why would you say that?” And I thought he was going to give me an economic answer. His answer was, “Because they’ve never seen what a stable family is like.” And there was nodding all around the table at this. And this is 2013.
There I was at a conservative evangelical midwestern college, which I thought would be one of the most stable, healthy places around. And these professors were telling me that these kids, good kids, had come out of such broken families situations that they lacked the social trust to be able to commit themselves to stable marriage and family. So, all of these things, they don’t sound like they’re connected to totalitarianism. But of course, they are because nobody can live in that kind of instability forever."

- Ron Dreher

No comments: