"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Paying Insufficient Attention

"Some folks seemed credulous at times with their potpourri of ideas about reincarnation, auras, harmonic convergence, crystals, energy and Karma. Still, these were seekers who thirsted and longed for God. I ruefully recognized that I had paid insufficient attention to such folks before, not just on the Camino.
I am not alone. The church as a whole is often largely absent to such folks......

On the whole there is a larger missed opportunity. Is there not a way for the church -"not just along the Camino but elsewhere as well - to welcome such seekers? Can we not respond to this yearning with hospitable listening and conversation? On the Camino many pilgrims ask themselves the most basic and most important questions: Who am I? What is the purpose of my life? Am i significant? Is how I behaved important? How ought I to live? Is there a reason for hope? These are existential matters, the very concerns that Christians profess to know something about.:

(Arthur Paul Boers. The Way is Made by Walking)

No comments: