"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Listening More - Declaring Less rapidly

"That's simple and respectful companionship with others got me to listen. Meals, rest stops and walking provided opportunity for long, leisurely conversation. There was no hurry to get things resolved; we had plenty of time to explore. As a professor - and formally a preacher - I spent much time proclaiming the right way to think or theologize, but here I was called into a different, more attentive mode.
I had a chance to see folks as complex and authentic human beings, true neighbors and fellow strugglers, not some stereotype that is easy for me to dismiss. They too, as Philo of Alexandria's Council reminds us, we're fighting their own great  battles."

(Arthur Paul Boers. The Way is Made by Walking:A Pilgrimage Along The Camino de Santiago)

No comments: