"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Monday, February 15, 2016

Life is Precious - Because We Die

"... my father once looked at a dying bird lying on its side against the curb near our house....

"Is it dead papa?" I was six and could not bring myself to look at it.
"Yes," I heard him say in a sad and distant way.
"Why did it die?"
"Everything that lives must die."
"Everything?"
"Yes."
"You, too, papa? And Mama?"
"Yes."
"And me?"
"Yes," he said. Then he added a Yiddish "But may it be only after you live a long and good life, my Asher."

I couldn't grasp it. I forced myself to look at the bird. Everything alive would one day be as still is that bird?
"Why?" I asked......
Why?"
"So life would be precious, Asher. Something that is yours forever is never precious."

(My name is Asher Lev. Chaim Potok)

No comments: