"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Woman Who Makes People Weep

"Making people tell awful stories has been part of what I have done for several decades as a human rights lawyer...

I was then a legal adviser for Amnesty International in London, collecting nightmares for a living in order to combat abuse in places like Lebanon and...
When your job is to document horror, as it was for me at times when writing this book, you try to convince yourself that it is inherently good for people to tell their stories. I am not sure that is always true. Some of the people I interviewed were desperately eager to recount their travails. An older woman at the offices of Djazairouna, the Association of Families of Victims of Islamist Terrorism in Algeria, rushed into the room and started talking at breakneck speed before I could manage to get my new digital recorder turned on. But for some it was terribly difficult. Another person I interviewed went into a depression afterward. With this research, I again became the woman who makes people weep."
(Karima Bennoune. Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here)

No comments: