"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Friday, October 10, 2014

Deliver Us The Goods Style Church: Taking Responsibility For Our Spiritual Life.

I think I still believe also......
"I believe in gatherings that are small, because we need the support, encouragement, and deeper growth that comes from this type of community.
I believe in gatherings where everyone is known so that no one gets lost.I believe in gatherings where we can learn from each other’s personal lives and stories (not just head knowledge) so that growth and discipleship takes place in the context of genuine, healthy relationship.
I believe in gatherings that are participatory because this involves and engages the entire body of Christ.
I believe in gatherings that call the body of Christ to take responsibility for its own spiritual life and stop relying on mediators, events, or someone else to “bring us the goods” because we need to grow up.
I believe in gatherings that are simple so that we are free to spend time with nonChristians and have the time to invite them into our lives.
I believe in gatherings that are easily multiplied, so that we can see people released to reach people anywhere, disciple people everywhere, and start “churches” at any time in any place.
I believe in gatherings that are inexpensive so that money is freed up for apostolic workers and the needs of the poor.
Is there one particular “model” that all of this fits into?  Not necessarily. I think God will constantly challenge, stretch, and re-shape our man-made attempts to “do” church gatherings.  And I think that is good.  The point is to keep focusing on maximizing our life with Him, our partnership with His purposes, and our spiritual growth.

After reading the article my friend Cliff Vogh wrote:
"I believe in knowing people and not letting them or myself get lost. I believe that I must participate and allow for the participation of others so that we grow beyond the depth we had yesterday. I believe that I am my brother's keeper and he is mine. That I am to look not only to my own interests, but also the interests of others. We are all called to pursue the likeness of Christ. That is the business of life. "Church" exists that we can help and get help in that business. We are all mediators. I don't think we need to gather corporately to achieve these ideals. We need to get to work living these ideals."

No comments: