"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Seen Clearly.....On The Way out!

"You can see clearly something that is embedded in your culture only when it is in the act of receding into the historical distance." (J. Hillis Miller)
I've experienced this as of late. Been an interesting last seven years or so. Maybe it's just the age I'm at?

You begin to look back and question why was I sold that? You begin to then question why you bought it.
We are sold that giving up your time and energy for this, or that, is the best use of your life. They sell us that time spent this way  is best way for promotion, to make money, to please God, to build a church or organization, to grow something. to get success.  When really what it is all about is, this is what you must do to gain that group, organization, or institutions acceptance and approval.  Some of that approval and acceptance is not worth what you have to give up... Thought honestly, when you are there, you do not even know what it is costing you, what you are giving up to go down that road.

There is many things I used to spent my time doing, that i no longer doing, others  that are simply given significantly smaller amounts of my attention.

There are practices, beliefs, events, and habits i once had in my life, that now I have let go of....
As I saw them exit my life, there was a moment of tremendous clarity. A clarity I never had when immersed in that culture. Now they have been exposed for the error they are, the exhausting life draining treadmill of bondage, for no reason, and no good.

I challenge you to look too. Some of what you have been sold, and bought into, is keeping you busy, it serves the purpose of the institution or network you are part of. However, in the end does it give you life?  Drawing people into what you do, where you are. what you have, with how you feel about it; Come on; would you really wish that on anyone else?

If the answer is no, stop selling it, stop supporting it. Find a new way to live, a way to live that scatters real life to others.

Some things are only seen clearly, on the way out... 
You'll see!
AJ the International Nomad

No comments: