"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Friday, November 16, 2012

Techno Savy Church! But What About The Relationship?

 In my Previous post "Two Stories About Church. Technology and Relationships", I shared how we are often out of touch with building relationships,  and the use of what has become simple every day technology as a great tool to get our job done.

Well the following Sunday I was speaking at another church, in another city. They had a digital welcome center, the screen told me that they have free WiFi, and gave me instructions on how I could down load a U-Bible app, so I could look up scriptures "live" using the WiFi.
Of course there were all the modern instruments and PowerPoints and lighting...... and Hip old me used my Tablet to speak from.... and once again, " No trees were harmed in the development or delivery of this message.!"

Oh the show was good, the speaker meh? ;-) But what about the connection with each other?
Really the service was engaging, but PEOPLE were not engaging any different, before and after the service, than the chunky chipped cell phone church crew, that shuts down digital bible usage. But in all fairness, we got to chat with  sweet young girl who is in foster care.
I've said it from the "Pulpit", and unfortunately I have heard it parroted most places since. I am ashamed of my self....

We have told people that church is not about "you" it's about "Him". What you get out of it does not matter, what matters is what He get's out of it (Ringing a bell yet? Sure it does!).
All sounds good and holy, but it's wrong... Look at the theme of "One Another" and tell me our gatherings are not about "You" and "others" too.  The It's just the churches way to keep your discontent quiet. Just don't stir the pot here.  "It's just you!" It's certainly not anyone else in this place, it's just simply, plainly, always, and ONLY, you. You just need to change your attitude, pray and read your bible more.

See we have made the gathering the central main thing, the main focus of most o our tie and efforts. Despite the fact that the words "Worship Service" should never be put together, and never are in the NT. The word Worship is never used to describe a gathering of people...... eeeemmmmm Wa? Yes, we don't even use the word "Worship" or "Church" in any true biblical way.  If you say you "go" to church, you have just taught someone a false meaning of the biblical word. Check it.

I have discovered three things about these kinds of "Corrective" statements
1. Sure, It's about HIM. Well yes! Any time we gather with others in his name it's about Him. But it's not only about him.
2. It's about Me. Because if I am sitting there dying, be assured it is not about "Him" either. What God wants most of all is for there to be delight in Him and his family. If it's not working, you don't have to fake it.... But it's not the churches job to give you a fabricated one hour experience of him. That is between you and Jesus first. Hopping churches does no good either, because there all the same, basically. Church was never intended to give you what only Jesus can. And you should stop expecting people to put on a show to, "Do it for you - and do it to you". That is the church model we have. I observe what you do for, and to me. Because we stripped the One anothering out of how we do the "Church Service". Which leads me to my third point.
3. If it's not about Me, then it's also not about You next to me. And, that my friends, is the root of a lot of lonely people in our pews. they have been to our "worship event" and got Jesus, but no time from the family. It's simply wrong. It is about you. Search the theme "One another" in the New Testament. Assembles in the New Testament are always about one another. This idea that we are in a tunnel with Jesus at "Worship Service" does not fit the New Testament. The one anothering was done as a central part of the gathering. Not an add on before or after. What am I doing to invest love, attention, a listening ear, encouragement to others around me in the body? How am I loving others around me in this body?If we are doing the show and then shutting down and heading home..... well we all know how that is working for most people. LONELY! 

 So, I like the tecno hip church. I'm more at home with it because it reflects life today, not life 30 yrs ago. But the Sunday show is still the main thing, and people kill them selves managing it, with little left for anything or anyone else. There is still this connection thing.
This is why the younger generation asks u, "If I am only coming here to hear good teaching and music.... I can get that on the internet every day of the week, (They won't add. "and most of it is better than this ;-) ) If people interaction is not a central part of the Church community thing... why do I need to be here? They don't stay for long.

No comments: