"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Friday, November 2, 2012

Don't Let Wacadoodles Get To You!

"Keep safe and don't let the wackadoodles get to you. They got to me and I suspect I will never be the same again"...... (Wisdom from a friend.. AB)
A good friend of mine, for over 20 yrs, sent this line to me in an email today.  It really resonated with me, because in our line of work:
1. We encounter many "Wackadoodles".
2. Our institution has no ethos to deal with wackadoodles. In fact the ethos is to cater to them.
3. One is never permitted to expose wackadoodle behavior, it's a cardinal rule of silence.
4. We would lose our job for exposing wackadoodle behavior because you failed to coddle them. 
Anyway, it's why I had to start serving outside the traditional box.... Here people don't have to fake that we are all doing the journey the same way, when it is clear we certainly are not. I may sit with wackadoodles, heck, I may be one myself.... But I have come to realize we are faking it.... I certainly am not united with most peoples journey. Often their vision, and direction is heading elsewhere. 
When I lived faking this faky unity, like I was taught to,  wackadoodles got the best of me.... i'm tired of them..

No comments: