"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Thursday, November 3, 2011

YWAM's Beginning!

"The tougher we made the conditions, the more the kids volunteered."

Loren Cunningham, YWAM pg 67
(After sending out Hundreds of YWAM kids all over the Caribbean islands - here was his reception home by his churches leadership) 
"The Problem, I gathered as we sat talking quietly, was that new works like ours needed to be brought under the organizational umbrella - not outside and autonomous. He said that their was a place for me in the Assemblies, but of course would have to be a full team player. In the end I was offered a job. A good one, too, there at the headquarters, complete with a fine salary, a staff, and a budget. `You can continue with your vision, Loren, but you'd be taking out a more manageable number , say ten or twenty young people a year'.  My heart dropped to my knees at the very gracious offer he was extending to me. It sounded so reasonable, so secure. Only it was far from what I believed God had told me to do: send out waves of young people from all denominations into evangelism all over the world........It was much, much bigger than twenty kids a year, and larger than nay denomination. `Sir', I said, `there's another generation coming. It's different form anything we've ever seen.'
I floundered, for I could hear how foolish my reasoning sounded, Brother Zimmerman assured me he had worked extensively with young people for decades and knew them well. As he tried to explain his reservations about my plans, I could truly see his dilemma. If I had his responsibility of leading a large movement, I would need submitted people - ready to play by the rules for the good of the whole. But here I was, hearing a different drummer, out of step with my own denomination. That's more or less what Brother Zimmerman said, too. He was sorry, but I'd have to leave the team - resign - if I couldn't play by the rules. ...." p79

"Don, I said, we're finally getting the message, aren't we? God wants us to focus our attention on His call, not on His tools."  pg 186
(Speaking about YWAM mercy ship, and buildings for the University)
(Is that Really You God, Loren Cunningham YWAM. YWAM pub, 2010)

No comments: