"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Friday, April 15, 2011

Time For Relationships

I like working in Africa because it is very relational, and always interactive with non- Christians. We are in unreached villages building relationships. In ministry here I have experienced this quote to be accurate.
"As a church planter I spent ninety percent of my time with Christians,.... Now as a shoe salesman, I spend ninety percent of my time with non-Christians."

Brock Bingaman in San Francisco.
Quoted in (The Shape Of Things To Come. Michale Frost, Alan Hirsch. Hendrickson, 2003. pg 19)

We give lip service to the idea of our ministers being involved in redeeming relationships with seekers. However, the reality is that they have so little time for that after serving your wants, perceived needs, and demands for a "full service" program church. I shared with a ministry friend how I have had many more opportunities to talk of Christ with nonchirch people as a self-supporting kingdom worker than I ever had as a traditional pulpit minister, I got the impression that this kind of talk should be kept very quiet.

No comments: