"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

If I Should Perish?

My last meeting with Iranian pastor Haik Hovsepian was especially memorable. For many years he had served as a shepherd for the churches in Iran, always declaring the gospel wisely but openly. As we parted we shook hands and he said to me, “Brother Andrew, when they kill me it will be for speaking and not for being silent.” He said “when.” He did not say “if.” He knew he would be killed. The next month he was murdered.

He had suffered for his faith for years. He was killed for his faithfulness to declare it. He was a rare and precious man, but he was not alone. There are millions of beleaguered Christians living in areas where their faith costs them greatly. It cost them most when they proclaim their faith.
As they suffer with Christ, they become the message by saying, “I am willing to die for Him and I’m willing to die for you because that is what He did!” I’m convinced that we are living in what appears to be the the most cruel period of history. More people suffer for Christ’s name than in any other generation. "

("If I Perish", Brother Andrew. "Perspectives on the world Christian Movement", 1999, William Carey Library, Pasadena California . Pg 179)

No comments: