"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Jewels in an African's Crown

Kuadio Ambrose's face slowly turned into a smile that became a full grin as all the men began to sing together for the evening worship. So did mine, for I had forgotten the power with which my African brothers sing. When these men sing at night, they sing loud. I am sure the whole village could hear us as I chocked back tears of joy.

This was the beginning of a week long meeting where we were to plan our strategy for the next year. We sing every night for 5 nights while we ate and slept together in the village of Adou.
Kuadio Ambrose is a single man who lives 8 km in the woods from the nearest village (Adjame is 40 km in the bush from a paved road), where he works his fields all week. His small mud house by his fields is referred to as a "campement". Kuadio Ambrose walks 8 km each way to Adjame to lead a group of people every week.

He was almost in tears that night when he gave these words to his brothers near the end of the evening.

“What have I got back home? I go out to the campement and there’s nobody there. I work all day in the field and I come home to nobody. I walk 8 km to the village, and I walk 8 km back home at night, and what do I have to look forward to when I get home? But when I am together with my brothers and sing like this, it encourages my heart.”

Brother Kudaio Amboise, I’m praying for you today out there in that nameless bush where you scratch a living. You encourage my heart too. When I think of all you do, with what little you have been given, and for the little thanks you receive for doing it, brother, I know your crown will have many more jewels than mine, fand you deserve them most.
See you there brother!

No comments: