"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Kiss The Son

Was reading an interesting verse in Psalm 2 today. The words jumped off the page at me. I swear, i never noticed them before. Psalm 2:11-12
Serve the Lord ...... Kiss his son, or he will be angry......
With the high honor of the Son enmeshed as the central point? Is there any more basic a call to the Father than this?

Serve God, Kiss his Son.....

This is an amazing call to worship, especially considering the Greek words God gave us to translate into our English word “worship”, have literal meanings such as, "to bend the knee", or "to kiss towards".
Anyway, been a long week here alone. I don't envy old people who live alone. That is very difficult. I find it a struggle. Lynn and I are lovers, but we are partners too. Partners is something larger than we are.
I am reminded today that there is a reason unreached people remain unreached. They are usually not near cities, there aren't any mission schools for missionaries children, there are no ready made teams to join, most require learning at least two languages, often geographically isolated, and to begin, you are often alone.
  • "Long before this winter snow I ran from pain, looking high and low For some fast way to get around Its hurt and cold. I'd have found, If I had looked at what was there, That things don't follow fast or fair. That life goes on, and times do change, And grass does grow despite life's pains."
  • ~ Mary and Bernard. Selection taken from, "Resurrection"
Yet, Jesus understands alone......
“That Jesus had voluntarily lost himself in an obscure Middle Eastern village; annihilated himself in the daily monotony of thirty years’ rough, miserable work; separated himself form society that :counts”; and died in total anonymity.” Carlo Carretto
He lived most of his life as worker, a wage earner, a bread for the table labourer. I am humbled to be reminded of this today. This is how I live my life too. Most of the year a wage earner, then kingdom work.... for a time. Will you pray for people to come and live, to immerse themselves, here, for unreached peoples? We don’t need visitors, we need people willing to be alone, in some very challenging places, where no one else goes. Realizing Jesus is enough for us, and them too.
Come and, “Serve God...... Kiss is Son.....”, here.
Henri Nouwen asks a good question in my readings today.
"Why do I keep relaying to you as one of my many relationships, instead of my only relationship, in which all other ones are grounded? Why do I keep looking for popularity, respect from others, success, acclaim, and sensual pleasure?Why, Lord, is it so hard for me to make you the only one?"
Forget about the big career of money, your degree you earned to secure a financial future, the fancy church ministry where people pat you on the back for your creative preaching, awesome growth, dynamic music, or amazing vision. Where we could be, and will be replaced tomorrow, if need be. Most, it seems, will Kiss the Son there, or in Kenya.
Come to a place where most will never see anything you do on a daily bases. Where you will be missunderstood. Come to a life that causes people to grow weary of your incessant stories. To a life where eyes will roll, as you go where most feet won’t go. Where ministry looks nothing like what we do at home. Come to the obscure place..... where even most “missionaries” don’t go.
Come Kiss the Son. Kiss the Son.......
“Pucker up, and help others to pucker up!” This is my new mission statement.
The world still needs courageous men and women....... Son Kissers.
Andy

No comments: