"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Luther Was Arrogant....

the last paragraph is arrogantly amazing.....

"As most Christians know, one of Luther’s primary doctrines is that we’re saved by faith alone. Yet, the Scriptures never explicitly make that statement. So Luther arrogantly took it upon himself to insert the word “alone”into the Bible. In the Epistle to the Romans, Paul wrote: “Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law”(Rom. 3:28). Luther wasn’t satisfied with that statement, so he changed it to say “a man is justified by faith alone, apart from the deeds of the law.”When the Catholics called his hand on this, Luther refused to admit that he had overstepped the proper boundaries. Instead, he arrogantly brushed his critics aside in a public letter:    If your papist wishes to make a great fuss about the word “alone”(sola), say this to him: “Doctor Martin Luther will have it so, and he says that a papist and an ass are the same thing!”I will it. I command it. My will is reason enough! For we are not going to become students and followers of the papists. Rather we will become their judge and master. We, too, are going to be proud and brag with these blockheads. And just as St. Paul brags against his madly raving saints, I will brag over these asses of mine! They are doctors? Me too. They are scholars? I am as well. They are philosophers? And I. They are dialecticians? I am too. They are lecturers? So am I. They write books? So do I.  I will go even further with my bragging: I can exegete the Psalms and the Prophets, and they cannot. I can translate, and they cannot. I can read Holy Scriptures, and they cannot. I can pray, they cannot. Coming down to their level, I can do their dialectics and philosophy better than all of them put together. Plus I know that not one of them understands Aristotle. If, in fact, any one of them can correctly understand one part or chapter of Aristotle, I will eat my hat!  No, I am not overdoing it, for I have been educated in and have practiced their discipline since my childhood. I recognize how broad and deep it is. They, likewise, know that I can do everything they can do. Yet they handle me as though I were a stranger to their studies! These incurable fellows! As if I had just arrived this morning and had never seen or heard what they know and teach. How they so brilliantly parade around with their knowledge, teaching me what I graduated beyond twenty years ago! To all their shouting and screaming I join the harlot in singing: “I have known for seven years that horseshoe nails are iron.” So this can be the answer to your first question. Please do not give these asses any other answer to their useless braying about that word sola than simply: “Luther will have it so, and he says that he is a doctor above all the papal doctors.”Let it remain at that. From now on, I will hold them in contempt. In fact, I have already held them in contempt, as long as they are the kind of people that they are—asses, I should say. And there are brazen idiots among them who have never learned their own art of sophistry—like Dr. Schmidt and Snot-Nose, and others like them."

(Will The Theologians Please Sit Down. David Bercot)

No comments: