"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Enforcing Rules is An Exhausing Experience

Read and interesting web article: "Why Flexible Hours Inspire Performance"

It resonated with my experience as a fisherman. We don't tell people how to do their job once on the boat, they just do it, the best they can at the speed they can. Despite what "Deadliest Catch" shows we don't harass people, we set in to a self evident routine and the day goes on like that.  


"Don't waste a minute tracking your employees' hours. They'll get more done."
It resonated with my experience for 20 years with a home office. I never understood people who said they could never work at home. I crank out lots of stuff form the home office. What is more I find I can do more there in 4-5 hours than I can at an office all day. Generally by 2 I was looking at the door wondering when I could leave. The Home office allowed you a cange of pace, get up and get a coffee, make or receive a "Personal" call takes the stress down, and you are ready to go back at it guns a blazing.

It resonated with my Church community experience. The times I have been the most stressed, and unhappy with that experience was when I was in charge of getting things done, and put on myself the burden to change people. The only person who can change is the person themselves, and it's not usually a lack of opportunity or resources, it's a lack of will or desire, and some encouragement.
And I have been around faith people who have tons of rules - Man made rules they are convinced are from the scriptures. They wish the whole body to adopt these rules too. They will work behind the scenes to manipulate and maneuver things to get people in line.   I for one am tired of rule making.... I am tired of carrying the burden to make things grow, when it's not even my job.
"You could say I'm the opposite of a control freak, in the sense that I have always resisted rules, for myself and for others. Why? Because once you have rules, you have to enforce them—and there's no more tedious task in life."
No more tedious task in life than enforcing rules... 

No comments: