"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Thursday, July 28, 2011

How We Use Money Matters.


"I wasn't enjoying being a killjoy and I understand why he wanted to pay workers - for almost a year I been trying to convince villagers to dig wells without pay and I got nowhere, but paying people would mean going against everything I have been taught in training - community development, self-reliance, sustainability, all those things. It would just foster more dependency."

(The Unheard: a memoir of deafness and Africa. Josh Swiller, page 165. Holt pub, 2007)

When Charity Destroys Dignity: Overcoming Unhealthy Dependency in the Christian Movemen.  Glenn Schwartz

This is a must read for modern workers, many of whom have no idea that local resources can support a work, without outside funding.

No comments: