"When you begin to think outside the box, you often become some other "leaders" lousy follower. That usually costs something" (Andy Rayner)

"Our guardian angels are bored." (Mike Foster)

It's where I feel I'm at these days. “In the second half of life, it is good just to be a part of the general dance. We do not have to stand out, make defining moves, or be better than anyone else on the dance floor. Life is more participatory than assertive, and there is no need for strong or further self-definition” (Falling Upward. Richard Rohr.120).

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

50 - 50 What's In It For me?

"As Adullam began to grow and Christians started to find us, we felt quite a bit of pressure to make sure people were introduced to our values, particularly our values related to being a “sent” community. I set a “two-visit” rule. That is, if someone came to check us out and I knew they came from another church, I’d invite them out and have what has become affectionately known as “the talk.” During the talk, I’d make sure I mentioned a few things. Here’s a sampling:

“I just want you to know that we’re not a church, we’re a mission to Denver, I don't feel and compulsion to feed you spiritually, but I will look after your spiritual formation. I believe you won’t grow unless you live like Jesus lived and try to do what he did with people.This mission probably has nothing to offer you. However, I’m interested in finding out if God brought you to us, and what your part in serving this city might be.” I go on to suggest that they won’t fit with us unless they are willing to open up their homes and lives to Sojourners and participate in a missional community within the city.

As you would expect, about 50 percent of the people who get “the talk” don’t come back."

(Tangible Kingdom. Hugh Halter, pg 54. 2008, Jossey-Bass)

No comments: